Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year?


We have been back in the US for almost 5 months now (which is crazy!). Some days I feel like we have been back forever and some days I feel like it was just yesterday that we were in Indonesia. A lot has happened since we have moved back (to say the least)! We had a wonderful summer with family that we had missed oh so much and we didn't have another future "goodbye" for another year hovering over our heads the whole time. Erik got a PE teaching job in Salem, Oregon and we moved here at the end of July. When we got back to the States,we had no idea if Erik would have a job or where we would be living - so that added some fun to the summer ;). AND of course, we brought our wonderful son, William, into this beautiful world at the end of August. So, yeah, it was an eventful summer!

We have had the joy of reuniting with family and friends over the past 5 months and naturally, they ask us a lot of questions about our time in Indonesia, and our feelings about being back in the States. The most popular question seems to be "do you miss it there [Indonesia]?". Well, it takes a lot more than a simple "yes" or "no" to answer that question. The answer I find myself giving the most often is, "it's a day by day thing". What I mean by that is, some days, yes, I miss it so much. And other days, I am so loving America that it would take awhile to tell you something I miss about about it there. 

Well, today I miss Indonesia. I miss my friends. I miss my kiddos. I miss the culture. But what I really miss is the simplicity of life in Indonesia. This is my favorite time of the year. College football, fall weather, sweaters and boots, warm foods and drinks, holiday parties, fall and Christmas decor, Christmas music ... The list could go on for awhile. And these are all things that I didn't get to enjoy fully in Indonesia. This morning I spent awhile on Pinterest looking at Christmas decorations. In our 4 years of marriage,  I haven't had a house to decorate and I am pretty excited about it. As I was looking at all of the ideas on Pinterest I began to get a little stressed. When am I going to have the time to make all the DIY crafts I want to? When am I going to have time to go and buy the things I "need"? How am I going to pay for these things? Is my house going to be as "cute" as my friends'? And then it hit me, I miss Indonesia. It was nearly impossible to worry about those things there. We didn't have craft stores, or Christmas tree farms. There is no such thing as fall or thanksgiving in Jakarta. And it is 90+ degrees there, so decorating an apartment in Christmas stuff didn't seem so necessary. Don't get me wrong, I did decorate our apartment for Christmas in Jakarta and I loved doing so. But, what I didn't do was spend hours shopping for decorations, making crafts, or agonizing over if my apartment looked better than my neighbors. I don't think looking on Pinterest for ideas is wrong in any way and I don't think spending a few hours on crafts is bad either. I think it's so fun! 

This morning I was convicted though. Being thrown back into my comfort zone of America where it's so easy to covet and get wrapped up in worldliness was one of my biggest fears in coming back to the States. I know myself. It was hard for me in Indonesia, and I knew it was going to be even tougher here. And I was right. This morning as I browsed Pinterest and the ideas I saw were things I could actually find in stores nearby or make, I began to want it all. I wanted all the decorations, all the crafts, I want to host the best parties, and have the cutest house. I know I am not supposed to care about those things. But I do. I know in my heart what really matters. Thanksgiving is about family and remembering all of the things we have to be thankful for. Christmas is about Jesus - how he came to this world, full of grace and love, to save me. And here I am, already caught up in what America has made these things about. We make these holidays about parties, decorations, and food, and we post all about it on social media so everyone can see. 

My prayer this holiday season, as I settle back into life in America, is that I wouldn't get caught up in everything. Am I excited about getting a real Christmas tree? You bet. Do I plan to decorate my house in Christmas stuff and have friends over to celebrate? Yes, I do. But what I pray, is that I can take the time and remember what Jesus did for me. I pray that I remember to thank God everyday for all of the things he has blessed me with. I resolve not to compare my house and the things I have to others.

I am thankful for my 3 years in Indonesia for so many reasons, but this is probably the main one. I am thankful that Indonesia showed me what matters. America tries to trick me. It tries to tell me I need more. That my house isn't decorated enough and that I must get all my decorations from places like Target (as opposed to Goodwill or Walmart.). And America tells me that to be a good wife, mom, woman, etc. I must meet certain requirements. Jesus tells me none of these things. Jesus tells me I am loved for who I am. Jesus tells me to spend time worrying about if I am loving Him and others well, not about the silly things I continue to spend my time worrying about. 

Thank you, for taking to time to read my thoughts today. I hope it has encouraged you. I hope that if you see me throughout this holiday season we can, together, remember what really matters. I hope that as women, we can work together to care less about our houses, hosting parties, and the kind of pictures we post online. I hope that we can all remember what matters. Let's kick the "American holiday dream" to the curb and enjoy "the most wonderful time of the year" for all the right reasons! :) 

Bye for now <3

1 comment:

  1. I am one BLESSED Mama! I love you so much and I'm so thankful for your wisdom and authenticity.

    ReplyDelete